Current Status of Medicaid Expansion in State:
State has decided to Expand Medicaid
Decision Process: Mayor Vincent Gray has decided that DC will participate in the Expansion.
· 28% of people in the District receive Medicaid, 70% of who had managed care. DC Healthcare Alliance is available for individuals who do not qualify for Medicaid or Medicare. The Department of Health Care Finance runs the DC Medicaid program.
· The expansion of Medicaid to 133% FPL would be a 16% increase on current enrollment. DC is seeking to cover beyond the ACA requirements, especially for those considered “high risk.”
· Mayor Vincent Gray has stated that the District will not risk any federal funding by refusing to participate and had already begun implementing the ACA before the Supreme Court ruling. As early as 2010, the District saw an increase in Medicaid beneficiaries.
· An 1115 Waiver has allowed DC to expand Medicaid coverage to single adults between 134% and 200% FPL.
· The city has consistently sought input from stakeholders and community at public presentations, forums, and smaller community meetings. Additionally, the city has a dedicated webpage for the Expansion (see below) which publicizes recent developments.
· The District has been discussing EHB benchmarks for some time. A general review can be found here.