Current Status in Establishing Exchange:
Declared State Exchange.
- A federal Exchange Planning grant of $1 Million was given to the Hawaii DCCA.
- A level One Establishment grant of $14.4 million was awarded to the DCCA, in November 2011 in order to create a web portal for the Connector. A second Level One Establishment grand of $61.8 million was awarded to the Department of Health and Human Services in August of 2012. This grant was given to support outreach efforts, design and develop IT architecture and engage a quality assurance The Connector requested that the federal government reassign the grant money, originally provided to the DCCA.
· Small Group Plan
· EHB Benchmark Plan: HMSA’s Preferred Provider Plan 2010
- Conducted an analysis of existing state benefit mandates, assessed benchmark plan options, held a public comment period, formed a workgroup on essential health benefits.
- The state's exchange program has focuesed outreach efforts on building relationships and connecting with hard-to-reach populations.
- Hawaii's exchange builds on the earlier Prepaid Health Care Act of 1975.
- 15 member board governs the exchange. Current appointed Board members are:
o Hardy Spoehr (Chair), Papa Ola Lokahi
o Sherry Menor-McNamara (Vice-Chair), Chamber of Commerce of Hawaii
o Cliff Alakai (Treasurer), Maui Medical Group
o Gwen Rulona (Secretary), UFCW Local 480
o Clementina Ceria-Ulep, Faith Action Community Equity
o Joan Danieley, Kaiser Foundation Health Plan, Inc.
o Jennifer Diesman, Hawaii Medical Services Association
o Michael Gleason, The Arc of Hilo
o Robert Hirokawa, Hawaii Primary Care Association
o Faye Kurren, Hawaii Dental Service
o Christine Mai`i Sakuda, Hawaii Health Information Exchange
For More Information: