Current Status of Medicaid Expansion in State:
State has decided to expand Medicaid
Regular legislative process.
15% of Maryland residents are enrolled in Medicaid, 80% of whom have managed care. Coverage extends to 300% FPL depending on the specific program.The Department of Health and Mental Hygiene oversees the state's Medicaid program.
Expansion on Medicaid to 133% FPL would be a 32% increase over current enrollment.
The governor and the state legislature approve of the ACA and are working toward implementation.
· Governor O'Malley has been very supportive of the ACA, saying that it adds momentum to Maryland's effort to improve healthcare.
· The state has received an 1115 Waiver to expand coverage for childless or non-custodial adults who are not eligible for Medicaid or Medicare up to 116% FPL.
- The Maryland Insurance Administration has been working to fill the gap between the expanded Medicaid coverage and private insurance.
· The Maryland Health Care Reform Coordinating Committee publicizes information on Maryland's health care reform website.
· The state is still studying EHB benchmark options.