The American Academy of HIV Medicine is a professional association for medical care providers. We do not give patients direct medical advice on this website.
If you are looking for a medical care provider who can give you medical advice, care, and treatment, please visit our online directory of medical care providers for a referral to a provider near you.
Go To: AAHIVM Referral Link
Information and Resources for Patients
In addition to connecting patients to medical care providers, we would like to refer patients and interested individuals to the following resources. The links below can help provide information and resources that patients can access to learn more about living with HIV, medications, prescription drug assistance, medical care, HIV service providers, HIV testing, case management, and also other topics such as government resources, HIV laws and legal policy, and HIV-related publications.
It is best to use any information you find as a basis for informed discussions with your medical care provider, as many news items, if taken out of context, can be misinterpreted against the background of your own personal medical situation. We intend for the following resources to help you create and maintain an informed and constructive relationship with your care provider.
Health Reform & Enrollment
Health Reform is being implemented in every state. Starting in 2014, you may have new ooportunites to get enrolled in health insurance coverage, or the state Medicaid program! Learn more about getting enrolled below.
HIV Information and Resources
- National Association of People With AIDS (NAPWA) provides information for the more than a million Americans who live with HIV/AIDS today.
- Project Inform offers information and education to empower people with HIV/AIDS in order to make sound decisions about their health care.
- TheBody.com is a website that provides clinical information on HIV/AIDS for patients.
- HIV and Your Heart is a website developed by the American Heart Association in collaboration with the American Academy of HIV Medicine, dedicated to helping people living with HIV make positive changes in life for better heart health and overall wellness.
HIV Medications and Prescription Drug Assistance
- Patient Drug Assistance provides links to patient assistance programs available from many drug manufacturers to help HIV patients access affordable medications.
- HarborPath is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the uninsured living with HIV/AIDS gain access to free medications offered by Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs) by creating a single place for application and medication fulfillment.
HIV Medical Care and HIV Service Providers
- ReferralLink is the AAHIVM directory of HIV care providers throughout the United States.
- Resource Locator is a tool from AIDS.gov to help patients locate HIV resources such as testing facilities, housing assistance and medical centers.
HIV Testing and Case Management
- ASOfinder is a tool to help patients find AIDS Service Organizations (ASOs) in the United States.
- HIVTest.org is provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and offers national HIV and STD testing resources.
- Get Yourself Tested, Get Yourself Informed website offers information and resources about HIV and HIV testing to young people, in cooperation with MTV.
HIV Laws and Legal Policy
- Center for HIV Law and Policy offers resources in HIV law and policy as well as legal briefs, expert commentary, medical and legal research and presentations.
- Department of Justice offers resources on the website of the Americans with Disabilities Act to protect people with HIV from discrimination.
- Lambda Legal is the nation's oldest and largest legal organization working for the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, and people with HIV/AIDS.
- Positively Aware is the bi-monthly HIV treatment journal published by the Test Positive Aware Network. AAHIVM partners with Positively Aware to feature a column called "Ask the HIV Specialist™," where a credentialed HIV Specialist™ will answer patient questions, and provide insight about how to find more information.*
*Disclaimer: Please note that not every question submitted to AAHIVM/”Positively Aware” will be published or answered. All published responses from HIV Specialists™ are general recommendations only, and are meant to supplement a patient's knowledge of the subject matter. Information provided in the “Ask The HIV Specialist™” column is not to be construed as medical advice and should never supersede a patient's medical provider.