Provider Information on Patient Assistance
Many HIV patients face obstacles accessing care, insurance coverage, and treatment. HIV care providers may sometimes represent the only resource of information on these topics, and assistance for patients facing adversity. Below are some resources that providers can use to help their patients access the care, coverage, and treatment they need.
Health Reform & Enrollment
Health Reform is being implemented in every state. Starting in 2014, patients may have new opportunities to get enrolled in health insurance coverage, or the state Medicaid program! Learn more about helping your patients become enrolled below.
Helping Patients Enroll in Health Coverage
Health Reform & My Patients
HIV Information and Resources
In addition to the above-listed resources for providers, AAHIVM has set up a portal of information and resources that patients can access to learn more about living with HIV, and other various information and resources available on topics such as medications, prescription drug assistance, medical care, HIV service providers, HIV testing, case management, government resources, HIV laws and legal policy, and HIV publications. Please feel free to refer your patients to the information below.
- National Association of People With AIDS (NAPWA) provides information for the more than a million Americans who live with HIV/AIDS today.
- Project Inform offers information and education to empower people with HIV/AIDS in order to make sound decisions about their health care.
- TheBody.com is a website that provides clinical information on HIV/AIDS for patients.
- HIV and Your Heart is a website developed by the American Heart Association in collaboration with the American Academy of HIV Medicine, dedicated to helping people living with HIV make positive changes in life for better heart health and overall wellness.
HIV Medications and Prescription Drug Assistance
- Patient Drug Assistance provides links to patient assistance programs available from many drug manufacturers to help HIV patients access affordable medications.
- HarborPath is a non-profit organization dedicated to helping the uninsured living with HIV/AIDS gain access to free medications offered by Patient Assistance Programs (PAPs) by creating a single place for application and medication fulfillment.
HIV Medical Care and HIV Service Providers
- ReferralLink is the AAHIVM directory of HIV care providers throughout the United States.
- Resource Locator is a tool from AIDS.gov to help patients locate HIV resources such as testing facilities, housing assistance and medical centers.
Preparing for the ACA
HIV Testing and Case Management
- ASOfinder is a tool to help patients find AIDS Service Organizations (ASOs) in the United States.
- HIVTest.org is provided by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and offers national HIV and STD testing resources.
- Get Yourself Tested, Get Yourself Informed website offers information and resources about HIV and HIV testing to young people, in cooperation with MTV.
Government HIV/AIDS Resources
HIV Laws and Legal Policy
- Center for HIV Law and Policy offers resources in HIV law and policy as well as legal briefs, expert commentary, medical and legal research and presentations.
- Department of Justice offers resources on the website of the Americans with Disabilities Act to protect people with HIV from discrimination.
- Lambda Legal is the nation's oldest and largest legal organization working for the civil rights of lesbians, gay men, and people with HIV/AIDS.
- Outserve - Servicemembers' Legal Defense Network (SLDN) provides legal assistance primarily to LGBT service members who are experiencing discrimination and need help. They also help service members with HIV.
- Positively Aware is the bi-monthly HIV treatment journal published by the Test Positive Aware Network. AAHIVM partners with Positively Aware to feature a column called "Ask the HIV Specialist™," where a credentialed HIV Specialist™ will answer patient questions, and provide insight about how to find more information
- Click here for the latest issue of Positively Aware.